Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Mother Teresa and The Blessed Virgin



But Mother, I Have No Children
With only volunteer help, Mother Teresa was ministering to a large number of poor in various parts of Calcutta. Seeing the enormity of the need and wanting to do more, she implored the Virgin Mary to send her followers to further her work: I keep on telling her "I have no children" - just as many years ago she told Jesus "They have no wine" - I put all my trust in her Heart. She is sure to give me in her own way. (Journal, February 2, 1949) Her prayer was soon answered. Some of her former students from St Mary's were interested in Mother Teresa's new mission. She had already made an impact on them as their teacher, and now, in the example she was providing in this new life of Gospel service to the neediest they saw an ideal worth leaving everything to follow. On March 19, 1949, Shubashini Das, the future Sister Agnes, came to join her. During the following months more candidates arrived. By June 1950, the community numbered twelve. (...) Mother Teresa's accomplishments in little more than a year were remarkable.


Excerpts from Come Be My Light -

The Private Writings of the 'Saint' of Calcutta, Edited and with commentary by Brian Kolodiejchuk, M.C., Wheeler Publishing, (2008, pp 227-229).



MULTIMEDIA : Rodjenje Bogorodice

No comments: