Wednesday, January 9, 2008

DESTROY HIM...???


DESTROY HIM...???
(Luke, 4, 14-30)

They had been thinking that they knew who you were; they thought they had recognized you! They knew your parents , so they knew you! How wrong were they! They did not want to accept all that which you revealed about yourself; they wanted to get rid of you once and for all! Maybe, they had sensed their inferiority in confronting you..., and that was not acceptable! It is only YOU that know the truth behind it all...!

Let's be straightforward, Lord. You could have worked a miracle.., you know.., at least a smaller one of the many that astounded the crowds. You could have convinced them there and then! Don't you think it would have been more advantageous than what you actually did? You walked through their midst and went your way...; maybe that was a small miracle in itself! They must have wondered, queried, and argued: "How did he manage to get away? How did he escape his fate? Why were we not able to lay our hands on him? Why did we not succeed in our intention of throwing him off the precipice?"

What were your inner feelings, Lord, seeing that your own people were not accepting you, even as far as to wanting to destroy you? I myself do have an inkling of what it means when not accepted or even refused; I hurt and feel sad when not appreciated, more so when this comes from people who should know better!

You know what, Lord? In such circumstances, not only do i feel snubbed and foresaken, but I find my heart fills with bitterness, and I retreat into myself. I might even, sometimes, start thinking of wreaking vengeance and get my own back by hurting anyone who had hurt me! BUt you say that this attitude of mine is no good at all; you advise me otherwise through your own actions. You did not say a word in defence or retaliation; you just went away and left the would be wrong-doers in their consternation and confusion...! On second thoughts, I am realizing that I myself did refuse you, and more than once at that! I am really worthless and void in your eyes...; I have a long way to go yet!

Help me, Lord, because I need to change my attitudes in life. I have to learn to keep going ahead when obstacles are set in my path. I know now, that it is not that important for me to be accepted and appreciated by fellow human beings, whoever they might be...., the most important thing is to be accepted and loved as the person I am by YOU, Lord.
With you by my side I can never be a loser!

No comments: